Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Chemo.....Day 1




Papa started chemo today. He was supposed to start Monday but something the hospital was suppose to do wasnt right or ready, so for whatever reason he didnt get to start till today. Jeff and Sherry took off Monday Tuesday and Wednesday to be with him through it but because of the delay they had to go back to Livingston for work.

I left work early and went to be with him for it. I had this image of Chemo in my head that he would be placed in some sort of machine and somehow administered this stuff, somehow to me that was what Chemo was. You would think after working for a doctor for two+ years I would know what Chemo really was.

So anyways I took off and went up there at noon. He was alone when I got there he said I had just missed Jeff and Sherry by a few minutes. I was hoping to see them, its been years since the last time. When I got there they had started the medicine drip to keep his nausea down through his chemo. We sat and talked and watched a western show on tv, only this time it was in spanish the only one he could find I guess,lol. It reminded me of when I was in school and would get home and he was always watching a Western Tv show. I would sit with him for a minute then go to his and my grandmothers room to watch Sally Jesse Raphael (haha I loved her).

Nonetheless he was in a great mood today. I was so excited to see him so at ease. I could tell that he was wanting to shut his eyes for a few minutes so I told him I was going to grab lunch and would return with my grandma if she got off intime. After lunch me and my grandma returned to find that he had started Chemo, which to both our suprise was nothing more than another bag of fluid put through a line placed just below his collarbone/shoulder. He was still in a wonderful mood and seem to not be affected by the meds at all. The Chemo nurse kept a close eye on him and was never further than just outside his door (literally).

He was on his second bag of Chemo when we got there and the nurse said he had one more LARGE glass vial to do and then they would be starting his 1 liter bags that would go over a 24 hour period for the next 4 days. I am thinking thats the one that is going to really effect him. Or the toll of so much of it will. The nurse was one of only 8 nurses at the hospital trained to do Chemo and otherwise worked on the Critical Care Floor, with that said my papa joked he hoped he didnt have to visit her there and she reminded him that "he was going to be fine." and he would repeat to her that "yes, he was going to be fine." He even had his good luck bracelet on that someone had made for him.

While we were there my grandma asked me to take a photo of him so we could rememer his bright white hair. Sometimes I think she needs an edit button,lol. But to my suprise he let me take the picture, he even took a picture with me (and smiled =]) All the other photos I took today I did without him knowing.

Jeff and Sherry came back on their way back to Livingston and asked us to please come up everyday and check on him. He should be there until Sunday as long as everthing goes good. I hope when I return tomorrow he will be in the same mood he was in today.

No comments:

Post a Comment